Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Cry, Cry, Cry

I've had a bad cold, caught from my son. We both sound like we smoke a pack each a day. I've been lucky enough to spend most of the day either sleeping or resting in bed, thanks to preschool and a two hour nap afterwards. I feel so groggy and out of it, right now. I've got to get myself moving, do some stretching or something so I can wake up. I'm hoping these pork chops can thaw before dinner. I'm so envious of people (if they really exist) who can plan a whole week's worth of menus. It's not the planning part that I'm incapable of, its what am I going to feel like eating on the actual day? Because there's times when I've planned to make something on a certain night and the mere thought of chopping or grating or even eating the concoction makes me want to hurl. So then we eat pancakes or cereal. Which isn't really all that bad, and you can always postpone the planned thing for the next day. A big part of the eating issue for me right now is that I'm pregnant. So all bets are off in the eating department. I'm about has reliable as Kaj is as far as making food decisions. Something will sound horrible, but will go down fine. Something will sound great, like the oatmeal I had this morning, but will be horrible.

I'm also emotional. This is so lame, but I was channel surfing while Kaj was napping and I came upon Little House on the Prairie. I love the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, and I loved the show as a kid, but when I watch them now I realize it is just horrible. Anyway, when you're pregnant, quality is not a criteria for anything. All I had to see was Almanzo's proud face when he drove them out to a deserted farm and he ran up the hill and yelled to Laura that this land was theirs! to build a home on! to raise children! To start our lives together! "Oh, Manly!" She sputtered and he ran down the hill to embrace her.

The waterworks didn't stop...especially when Ma was comforting Laura about having to quit her teaching job ("Manly" won't let his woman work)..."You'll be a teacher Laura." Laura, confused, looks at her Ma. "H-h-how" she sniffles. Ma replied with a smile, "Because a mother is so many things: a cook, a dressmaker, a displinarian, and above all, a teacher. And you'll be a wonderful one."

I'm pathetic. I cried at the end of "40 year old virgin" last week too. You've got to see that movie, it is really good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home