Monday, June 12, 2006

You're Sweet, "Anonymous"

Good lord, I'd forgotten about my blog. Really. I'm not kidding. But I got a couple of posts from "anonymous" who, I'm sure "anonymous" knows, is not really all that "anonymous" to me. Good thing though, because I was trying to take a nap, and I'm suffering from allergies and my meds are either hitting my bloodstream or flowing out (depends if you're sudafed (upper), benadryl (downer) or the newly OB approved Claritin) causing tears to flow out of my eyes when I lay down. Not crying, just uncontrollable-annoying-as-hell eyewatering. And as the sudafed/benadryl cocktail dissipates and the Claritin 24 hour takes hold, I am a restless, sleepless, weepy robot. This writing thing is good for something to occupy my mind.

Went to my 32 week OB appt today. Hence, the newly acquired Claritin. Because of gentle requests from mother and in-laws, I was required to ask my doc when I could expect to have my C-section. I am due August 6, and when I asked, Dr. Bridges casually replied, "Oh, about ten days before the due date is when I usually schedule these things."

TEN DAYS?! BEFORE DUE DATE???!! HOLY BUCKETS!

This is huge. With Kaj, I was a miserable freak of nature who had to go EIGHT DAYS past her due date. Getting those days back is like Christmas. But you know what? It's also a little scary. First my husband kind of freaked out....not in a Oh-my-God-why-did-I-marry-her-and-have-rugrats kind of freak out. He was merely reacting to the fact that very soon, we will have a birth date. And before the kid is born even, which if you're superstitious, is about the biggest fate-tempter imaginable. Then my mom kind of freaked out, her reason was that she thought the kid would arrive in August. Having it be the 24 or 25th of July seemed like too much to wrap one's head around. Is around a preposition? Well I don't care. I just ended a sentence with it.

It seems like we probably have to do a lot in six weeks. We thought we had 8 weeks. My typical response to having a lot to do in a finite amount of time is first, to want to lay down and take a nap, second, I get bursts of energy every three days or so that allow me to complete several annoying tasks. Alas, I am not an every day tornado of efficiency and achievement. On my lay-off days I am capable of thorough list-making, which makes the productive days that much more productive.

I did just read two books this past two weeks: A Changed Man by Francine Prose. I give it three stars out of five. Interesting characters and plot. Also just finished Thank You for Smoking by Christopher Buckley, which I give five stars. Hilarious and super-intelligent. I'm so jealous that a person can be that smart and funny at the same time! Also, the New Yorker this week has some incredible essays written by troops in Iraq, as well as other war memoirs written by various people about different conflicts. Reading these may have contributed to the constant eye-watering. I suddenly realized that I'm going to have TWO sons and if they start drafting men again you can look us up in Vancouver, because that's where we'll have to move. It really is a beautiful city.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm SO glad you're writing again. I check periodically, only to discover poor Kai's nose again. It's healed, isn't it?
Sassy

12/6/06 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After you called, I spent the rest of the day just saying Holy Cow, Holy Cow, Holy Cow!! The kid, whatever his name is going to be, is almost here. It was a rush! Nothing like getting your life "in order". Yippee! Can hardly wait. xo xo xo

13/6/06 8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I'm not really sweet. I didn't want to register so I chose to mask my identity by signing "Love, Laura" after my remarks. Clever, no? Oh, and a Gallup editor recently told me that it's an outdated & tight English (as in Brits) convention to avoid prepositions at the end of sentences, but like you I still prefer to comply when practical. Holy Cow is right, cb, a July baby is startling news! Ah, that many more days to smell those sweet milky baby smells. Happy list making. Love you. Laura

13/6/06 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michele:

I'm really excited to learn I'm going to be an Aunt soon(: Just
think, you will be feeling much
better a week from now (7/21) with
baby here.

Has the weather been hot by you this summer? At least you can
be out with the kids for a while
which helps to get you out of the
house.

Can't wait to see pictures of the
4 Nielsens.

Love you all

Aunt Sheri'

21/7/06 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home